In this article, you will learn how to correctly clean your windscreen and why its important to keep your windscreen clean.
As you drive, your windscreen will collect debris, road grime, tar, and other foreign matter. When your car is parked, you windscreen may also collect leaves, dust, dirt, tree sap, spider webs, overspray just to name a few.
Running your finger over the windscreen, you may feel bumps and other texture, this is one way to check if your windscreen needs to be cleaned. Sometimes paying someone to wash your car doesn’t always do the job, they’re trying to wash as many cars as they can so its likely they will not give it the attention it deserves unless you mention your desired outcome and monitor the progress.
Using your wiper blades on a dirty windscreen can damage your windscreen and also the wiper blades. Spraying water alone from a hose or the washer jets alone will only remove a small amount of debris and add further damage to your windscreen and wipers.
Now that you know the importance of maintaining a clean windscreen, lets get started;
Before we get started, you will need;
- 1 x Dish soap
- 1 x Warm water
- 1 x Bucket
- 1 x Chamois
- 1 x Clay bar
- 1 x Glass cleaner
- 2 x Microfiber Cloths
- 1 x Stool
Steps to Clean Your External Windscreen
- Lift both windscreen wiper blades (you may need to put your wipers into the service mode if they are concealed under the bonnet).
- Mix the warm water and dish soap until completely dissolved.
- Clean your external windscreen with the solution mixed earlier. (You may need to use the stool)
- Wipe the entire windscreen with a clay bar. Your windscreen must be wet while using the clay bar otherwise you can scratch the windscreen. Massage and flip the clay bar every 30 seconds and take note of the dirt collected on the clay bar.
- Dry the windscreen using the chamois.
- Spray the windscreen with the glass cleaner and wipe using the first microfiber cloth.
- Dry the windscreen using the second microfiber cloth.
That’s it, your done.
If your blades are still not performing, you might need fresh wiper blades? Select your vehicle below to get started.